Our text is taken from John 2:23 – 25
Jesus was a crowd puller during His earthly ministry. Just as light attracts moths, He attracted all kinds of people – Pharisees, Sadducees , the Sanhedrin, fishermen, tax collectors , lawyers, rulers of Synagogues, military commanders and ordinary folks.
A careful study of the scriptures shows that Jesus did not commit Himself to these multitudes except His own disciples – disciplined followers.
This group of multitudes can be grouped into five compartments.
- The spectators come and go , they belong to no fixed fellowship. They are where the action is without being part of the action.
- Routine worshippers. They attend church services on Easter Sunday, Christmas service, New years eve and probably on Sunday morning only. They are hearers of the word and never doers, the empty barrels that make the most noise: one leg in the church, the other in club houses. Isaiah 29:13, Ezekiel 33:31.
- Fair weather cock. They are the followers of Jesus Christ for advantage. They want the miracle worker. John 6:1-6, 10-14, 26-27. When the bread and fish were no longer part of the bargain they despised Jesus.
- Havoc wreckers: this group is the most dangerous group (agents of the devil).
The aims and objectives of these groups were:
- To discourage others Matthew 20:29-31
- To cast stumbling blocks before the children of God with their false doctrine and teachings. Rev 2:14.
- Subtle seduction of the servants of God into fornication and adultery. Rev 2:20-21
The fifth and most important group we should all work towards is :
- The genuine worshippers. John 4:23-24. These are the few that are chosen out of the many that are called. They worship Father God in Spirit and in truth. There is genuine repentance, deep rooted hatred for sin.
What is our challenge from this brief study?
- It’s time to be a serious Christian i.e. Christ-like in all our ways. Phil 1:21
- Living our lives pleasing to Him. Hebrews 11:6
- Submitting to Gods word by studying His word, meditating on it and applying it to our everyday living. II Tim 2:15
- Praying daily to God for His will to be done in all areas of our lives. Matthew 6:10
- Share the gospel of good news that Jesus came to save us from our sins, heal, deliver and restore us back to our heavenly Father. Mark 16:15-16
- Get involved in your local church , so that we leave this world empty of any gift. I Corin 1:7
In conclusion, I pray according to I Thess 5:23: May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen and Amen.
God bless you richly
Pastor Joyce Fadeyi