Dr. Aduroja is originally from Ilesha, Nigeria. He spent 3 years as a field health educator at the Nigerian Ministry of Health in 1977 to 1979 and then took a position as a researcher consultant with the World Health Organization in 1979. He came to Michigan in 1981 and got his doctorate from the University of Michigan in 1984.
He was Public Health Professor and Department chair at Wayne State University between 1985 and 1991. He got the appointment as the Director of Health and Substance Abuse for the Detroit Urban League where he led the city of Detroit in substance abuse prevention initiative and was rewarded with the distinguished position of the Director, Bureau of Substance Abuse for the city of Detroit where he was in charge of the city’s $35 million budget on Substance Abuse. He managed the city’s Target city’s project grant of $12 million from the Federal government. Then proceeded to take the position as Professor of Public Health Education since 2001. His scholarly and amiable accomplishments could be summarized as follows:
- Published over 50 scholarly articles in refereed professional journal
- 2017, Awarded the most prestigious Eta Sigma Gamma Fellow as one of the Most Distinguished health educators of the last 50 years
- Given over 100 scholarly presentations in international, national and regional conferences
- Had numerous experiences as board chair and member for various community and public health coalitions and organizations, including March of Dimes, United Community Services, Tobacco Reduction Action Coalition and substance abuse, Prevention Coalition of South East Michigan (PREVCO) Renaissance West Community Mental Health, (Detroit), National Commission for Health Education Credentialing
- 2013, The Honor Award, (Highest Eta Sigma Gamma Award), Gamma Mu chapter of Eta Sigma Gamma
- 2012, Ordained as a Pastor at PineView Apostolic Faith Church, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- 2011, Fellow, American School Health Association, Lifetime of Accomplishments and Leadership Award
- 2009, Named National Outstanding Faculty Sponsor of the Year by Eta Sigma Gamma, the national health education honor society for Health Education
- 2007 The Prestigious Warren Schaller Presidential Citation Award, Eta Sigma Gamma, National Health Education Honorary
Dr. Aduroja and his wife, Dorcas Aduroja raised five adult children who are successful in their own right. His compassions in life include travelling, cross-cultural programming in public health, and advocacy for social justice and the family.